Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Kelly Clarkson and her loss of luster


And I return with another post about pop music. It's undeniable that pop music sort of follows us around everywhere we go. When we're at the grocery store, in a cafeteria, at your co-worker's desk. It just follows you around like a bad break up.

That's the theme of Kelly Clarkson's new song Never Again. Before even hearing the song, you can ultimately predict what it's about; a really messy break up with a lot of angst and hatred for her boyfriend who screwed her over. Now she's following him around like a bad seafood dish in a Chinese Restaurant.

I've been a really big fan of Kelly Clarkson. There is no denying that she has an excellent voice and she deserves her fame. However, this new song from her new album My December makes me a little hesitant to enjoy Kelly Clarkson any further.

Her last album Breakaway has a lot of themes (it looks like) as her new album. It's all about the guy who fucks everything up and ends up alone while the girl prevails and walks away without a scratch. It's a beautiful dream that I think many women would love to come true: a life without baggage. I know I would. But her new album gives her no room for relenting if you're the male species. Judging from this song alone, she's gone a little dark. The synth and the heavy guitar playing makes me think more AFI than the womanly Kelly Clarkson. Without further ado:



At least she's not baring it all. Well, except for the scene where she's shirtless.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Her eye makeup is freaking me out. She looks like a mime.