Tuesday, June 12, 2007

2007 Shortlist Winner



Out of all the numerous award shows I watch, I think I enjoy the Shortlist Award. Ok, so it's not really an award show with multiple prizes given in various categories, but it is when some of my favorite bands who are never recognized by MTV can perform a song or two and win a coveted prize.

I remember the first time I watched the performance. Funny, it was on MTV. Anyway, I didn't even know they were still giving out the prize over some dispute with the founders. All I remember hearing last was that TV On the Radio won last year.

This year, however, was a tough call. Out of nine nominees, Cat Power wins for The Greatest. According to Billboard.com, she won this coveted award against the likes of Band of Horses, Beirut, Bonnie Prince Billy, Girl Talk, Hot Chip, Joanna Newsom, Regina Spektor, Spank Rock and Tom Waits. TOM WAITS! He was one of the nominees and he still didn't win. What a close call. I could never make a decision like that against such a variety of sound. Not to mention that all these musicians are so talented and hardworking, you could never make a single choice.

Way to go, Cat Power. You finally stop singing about how depressed you are and now you're winning stuff.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I like Cat Power, but The Greatest does not match up to Joanna Newsome's Ys. Not at all.