Monday, May 14, 2007

Secondhand Serenade/Dashboard Confessional: Oh Yeah He's That Guy From That Band. Right?


I don't usually watch MTV. When I do watch, I'm usually watching the music videos in the morning (or Beauty and the Geek reruns. Don't ask). Anyway, I had the good fortune to watch some music videos this morning. It was the regular crew of videos. Neyo's "Because of You," Bow Wow's "Outta My System," followed by Ciara's "Like A Toy." Suddenly, there was a break from the mudane black and white videos about love vendettas. There was what I thought another hit by the lovely Carrie Underwood. But I was completely mistaken. Instead, I saw the heavily tattooed arms of a man that I thought was Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional. I was mistaken again to realize it was some dude called Secondhand Serenade.

I didn't really listen to the song because I was too busy trying to figure out where I've heard his voice before. "It's that dude from Dashboard Confessional," just kept on running through my mind. "Or maybe it's the lead singer from that band The Get-Up Kids."

However, I was wrong yet again. I decided that it would kill me all day if I didn't figure out exactly where I heard his voice from. So, I went on his myspace page. This is the quote directly from the horse's mouth.
When it came time to chose a name [it said chose, not choose.], he decided to go with Secondhand Serenade in an attempt to stay away from the typical singer/songwriter image.

He's not from any bands that were famous. He's just some dude who claims to write all his songs about his wife. If all of his songs are about his wife, then he's got some issues because his latest song Vulnerable makes me question whether or not he likes being the bitch in the relationship.



I think the best part of the video is when his wife and him play mirror tricks and whoosh! She's vanished. Or maybe the part when his shoebox of photos (cliched) turns into a group of blue butterflies. I don't which one is gayer. Either way, the song has some nice lyrics with an overly heard voice from the dude. He's also got too many tattoos to be a romantic singer? Well, I'm trying my best not to compare him to Dashboard Confessional.

Speaking of the tattooed man, Dashboard Confessional came out with a new single in the early parts of the year. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the song until now. Haha. Wait a go, Simone. Great journalistic skills. Anyway, I thought I should share the song Stolen with you all because of two things: 1) Dashboard Confessional has a way of making me fall in love with my boyfriend all over again. 2) It doesn't hurt that Chris Carrabba is a hottie. Enjoy.

7 comments:

Darcy said...

i'm starting to think that maybe you're just jealous of his voice and his happiness in his career and with his wife... lyrics have different meanings behind what they really say, although: some are what they say... :) John Vesely, has an AMAZING voice, one in which i think is far better than Dashboard Confessional..:)

Emily said...

Uhhmm... Dashboard Confessional called....they want their sound back. This guy is a total Chris Carrbba wannabe. Chris is waaaayy better.

This guy thinks he is the next musical icon just because he figured out how to pick up a guitar and sit on a stool in the middle of a stage.

Adrian S. said...

I agree with emily. Secondhand Serenade is totally a dashboard confessional imitation. His voice could not even compete with Chris Carrabba's superb vocals. The guy really copied the style of Chris Carrabba's music which makes him have no authenticity. He is a trying hard emo music maker.

aerosurferlv said...

Complete and total agreement. I am a HUGE fan of Dashboard Confessional. Chris is a genius and passionate songwriter. This Secondhand Serenade dude is a total copy. I have both albums of his, the first album "Awake" especially is remnants of Dashboard. I'm not saying that the music is bad, but it's an imitation and a cheap imitation at that. SS's second album is a lot more pop oriented, more effects and less acoustics which is also the sign of a classic sellout.

Unknown said...

I don't know. I just had to look it up, too. I thought he sounded more like Ryan Key from Yellowcard.

Unknown said...

Lol, all of you guys are pretty stupid. You talk as if Chris is the only man on the planet who can write the way he does and that he sings in a way that no one else can without copying. Chris Carrabba is an amazing artist, but so is John Vesely. They're similar musically, but that may be because they're also similar emotionally.

Dying to Love said...

I personally Love D/C like way too much to explain. Chris is an amazing artist and song writer. I've actually haven't heard much secondhand serenade until recently. There are a few songs i've realy grown to like. I don't think they're better than dashboard but i do think they're talented.