Sunday, May 13, 2007

Rihanna: Um-brella...eh eh eh eh eh eh eh (ad infinitum)



I told you I have a thing for pop music. However, I have to give it to Rihanna for being so innocently "Lolita". Although she is outside the age range that Nabokov speaks of, she's definitely got some nymphet-like qualities. Take for instance her new video for her song Umbrella. I love the song and the production is really good, but this video is a little bit over the edge.

Besides the fact that she's wearing the skimpiest of outfits in a over-used idea of CGI graphics, the video doesn't go with my perception of what I would think her video would look like. If you listen to that song, you don't expect a barely legal girl to create something where she is completely silver. I mean, I thought it would be her just mellowed out and there would be rain and...umbrellas. This production, I think, just exploits the little girl as a sex symbol.

However, her new album is called Good Girl Gone Bad which could give some exhibit of her change in face.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I totally agree with you. What do dominatrix outfits, slutty maid outfits, and silver paint have to do with anything?? It should've been her and some nice little boy holding hands in the rain and sharing an umbrella. ella. ella.