Monday, May 7, 2007

Borat to love fat-bottomed girls too.

Smells like a rumor but I just read on Spin.com that Sasha Baron Cohen is going to be playing Queen front-man Freddie Mercury.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this, but my reaction isn't negative. Movies about rock stars are usually a bad idea and the story is always the same, but in this case it's more interesting. Mr. Mercury was flamboyant as all hell, and probably the greatest performer and vocalist of the "Classic Rock" label given to anything that came out yesterday.

But Mr. Borat as more than proven himself as an actor, I think. The question seems to be can he do serious, dramatic acting? Comedy is tougher to do, and he pulls that off so well that I needed stitches after watching Borat's movie-film. So the tragedy of Freddie Mercury's rock and rock career doesn't seem like it ought to present much of a problem. But I wonder, can Baron Cohen do this:

No comments: