Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Give It Up, Billy, The Nineties Are Over


According to NME.com, The Smashing Pumpkins will be playing their first comeback show since 2000 in Paris.

I remember there being a lot of hype about the final curtain call for The Smashing Pumpkins. I think I even wanted to go to one of their farewell shows, but alas my youth was too...youthful? In other words, I was too young to go. However, I knew people back then who actually attempted to go to the final performance of one of the 90's most influential grunge bands. Let's just say it included a lot of flowers and a lot of drugs.

Well, seven years later, The Smashing Pumpkins have returned with a new album called Zeitgeist which I have problems pronouncing. I wonder, though. How well is this album going to do? Yeah of course, the hardcore Pumpkins fans will shave their heads and call themselves Corganites once they hear this album, but what about those disappointed fans who threw flowers at the band at the end of their farewell show?

They now can dish out the $20 (that's right) to go see the Pumpkins in all their old regalia. Maybe they'll spare a few plaid shirts here and there for those "underdressed" fans. I don't think those fans will ever get over the painful realization that the Smashing Pumpkins broke up. However, I don't think these fans realize that Kurt Cobain is dead.

You're trying to reattach broken hearts, Smashing Pumpkins! I ought to wham you one in the jaw!

No comments: