Thursday, July 5, 2007

Dear Editors, that IS the saddest thing I've ever seen.

"Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors."

This is the new single the Editors have put out and in the song, singer Tom Smith declares that that the image the title conveys is the saddest thing he's ever seen. I think I'll have to agree with him on that one. The audacity it would take to do that. Makes me angry.

But on to the single and video. The song immediately puts forth new sounds for the band as it opens with gentle chords on a piano. Soon enough, however, we return to the angular and well-reverbed-and-delayed guitar lines driven by a signature Editors beat. This is good stuff. Listen and watch here:

I'm not crazy about the video though. I just wonder when rock bands as a whole will refuse to be in their own videos. I mean - we have Youtube now. So if I want to watch the Editors playing this song, I can do it.

If I want to watch a music video for the song I would much rather watch some visual rendering of the song, in whatever way that comes about. Maybe that includes the band, but I think the idea of a band playing a song in a random location while some weak story goes on around them is silly now. Take note, Editors. Now you know what pleases me.

No comments: