Tuesday, July 3, 2007

But we like Timbaland just the way he are...

What the hell is Timbaland thinking? Quit making music? Is he serious? This makes me sad because he is one commercial artist who consistently put out good work. He has a knack for hot beatz and the melodies and choruses that get stuck in your head for entire days.

Surely he doesn't need to work anymore - he must have more money than entire communities of people in Middle America do. But has the fun really all gone away? Is working with amazing performers like Justin Timberlake and Bjork getting stale?

Please, tell your story Timbaland! We must know why you decided this! This is what he said to Gigwise:
Music is boring right now. I'm too innovative for the world. I've been doing it so long, I'm about to throw in the towel. I'm about to de-crown myself and pass it over to one of the up-and-coming producers under me. They won't be able to be me - there's only one Timbaland - but there's a certain sound that I try to teach.
There is something admirable here - like the desire to pass along the talent and the technique. But could he be any less modest about it? Jeez. I suppose it's just the old hip hop bravado at work. I'm the shit and you are not and maybe one day someone will be the shit like me but it's not likely to happen in my life time. That's putting it politely, anyway.

And what's that about music being too boring? This is straight up ignorant. There is always new music to listen to that is breaking ground and the fact that one of the most ground breaking producers in commercial hip hop doesn't seem to believe that is a little bit sad. Maybe he just ran out of places to steal his samples from.

My guess is that this is phase and the online magazine just caught him at a time when he is re-evaluating his life. Perhaps we may next find him in a tibetan mountain with monks. But if this is anything like Jay-Z's "retirement" a couple years back then you can be certain you'll be hearing a new Timbaland single in about 6 months.

No comments: