Monday, July 16, 2007

And the award for best vocoder use goes to...

Someone recently showed me this song by Imogen Heap called "Hide and Seek."

At first I didn't know what to make of it. It's very simple - just a vocal and some disjointed lyrics, really. But the melody and harmony will just grab you and for 4 and a half minutes you will sit in attentive silence.




Here is the video for the song, courtesy of Youtube.
Back when I wrote about that Editors' song, I said I didn't like it when artists are in their own videos. At least, not when it is in some way that seems out of place - like they're playing the song in their rehearsal space while the camera cuts to shots of some storyline you and I could care less about.

Well, I think it might not be so bad in Imogen Heap's case. The video seems to try to be a visual of what the song is - it's just her and her voice. The light around her face intensifies when she whips out a big, beautiful vocoder chord. I like that because when I listen to music I visualize textures, and lights doing things like that.

Enjoy.
If you'd like to hear more, check out her myspace.

1 comment:

Simone said...

i used to love this song, but then i heard the first three words of the song and i had to turn it off. man, her voice gets annoying after a while.