Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Comeback with Finger Eleven


Well it's been a while since I've written, but now that I have returned I have a pressing issue I would like to discuss.

It's called the Comeback. A lot of musicians do this. They come out with an album and it gives them enough fame to keep their names in the heads of the people who listen to them. Then, they disappear for long moments in time. You don't really remember what they used to sing, but you remember the name. That's the most important part because then the musician comes back. You have a vague reminder of what they used to play, but you really don't remember and frankly you don't really care.

So they come back with some mega hit about breaking up or losing out, but the song is a hit. It's not because those who have heard the band before will listen to them again, but the band has suddenly hit a new generation of people who like their new song. Maybe I should give you an example.

I was going through the iTunes top songs list (I'm a sucker for radio music) and found the new single from Finger Eleven. Now, any angsty youngster in the late 90's/early 2000's will know of the band. They were the ones that wore the black clothing and hated the world for giving them such a painful life to live. Now, seven years later, they have returned and they aren't so angsty.

I think someone got their heart broken? Yeah?

But anyway, what shocked me the most is that this song is now probably on the same list of crappy songs that all comeback artists try to submit themselves to. With influences from bands who probably formed after they had their fifteen minutes, Finger Eleven should just change their name to Pussy Whipped or Cry Babies.

Let's hear the song:



Now, let's hear what they used to sound like:



And now, the point when they sold out:



I think the entire philosophy of the comeback is to re-introduce the band from the black hole they fell into. However, this is probably the worst comeback I have heard yet. I mean, Korn did a better job than them. God.

No comments: