Monday, March 19, 2007

La Dolce Vita? (a tired rant from Simone)

It don't seem so sweet when you've got Sylvia prancing around. Yeah, I was watching La Dolce Vita today. What I realized was how Italy (or mostly Fellini) regards America as these outlandish spectacles. If they're taking their cues from characters like Sylvia, then we are baffoons. We dance to crazy latin beats and listen to Elvis. That's what sort of bugs me. Why do a lot of Europeans regard Americans and their music as some sort of gimmick?

Yeah so a lot of the really good musicians come out of Europe (Thom Yorke, Sigur Ros, Pink Floyd, The Who, Kylie Minogue?), but that doesn't mean that Americans fall short to creating their own brand of good music.

I change my mind. Americans are like Sylvia. Yeah, we don't run around in ponds all day, but did you notice her attraction to sounds? From the running water in the classic fountain theme to the howling with the coyotes, it's all diligent listening to the sound. I bet you nothing that Robbie Williams writes will ever sound like that. So I say to hell with all you European musicians because America is musical too!

(Wait, Sylvia's swedish. Damn, another ABBA hit.)

No comments: